In order to address this fifth grade objective, "students will identify the phases of the moon and why the moon's shape changes throughout the year" (HCPSS, 2007), I incorporated the mindmapping tool Popplet. Popplet allows students to organize words, ideas, and pictures by importing images onto a blank canvas. For science this is essential, students are able to find moon resources and create a diagram when observations are too difficult. They can then connect their ideas and demonstrate their understanding, far beyond hard to see observations.As seen in the Popplet Blog, users have used this mindmapping tool for all subject areas, at home and in the classroom.

Popplet reminds me of Inspiration, but I find Popplet more user-friendly. It is more intuitive to me. I think it could be used in a telacollaborative project that involved sequential creations. It appears to also be a useful tool to explain thinking or concepts in any classroom.
ReplyDelete